Monday, January 26, 2009

Lord, Grant me patience and answers to study guides

OK.. Kenny was just home for the weekend and it was a busy one. But, today was the first day back at school since daddy is gone again. It is always a adjustment even when he comes and goes and pops back in for just two days. Cort has tried my last nerve today and I was about to open a six pack of whoop ass on him. As we were finishing last minute things before bed, he went upstairs to brush his teeth. I decided to check his homework folder and low and behold he has a science test tomorrow. Did he study for it..NO.. So I call him so we can go over it and he forgot and doesn't have the study guide with him. I am so upset with him. This isn't a every day event but he forgets something at least two times a week. I talk to him and tell him that this is his responsibility and his grades. He needs to check, check, & double check this before he leaves school for the day. I mean really he wrote it in his binder today so it is not like some surprise. We have taken away things, no play time and many other things to no avail. I finally tell him that I am going to spank him and I tell him why. It gets his attention, he hates it and hopefully he will remember this when he packs up at the end of the day. He cried and cried before I layed a hand on him. He told me he had a better idea!!! He said for me to wait till he gets his test back next Tuesday and see how many he misses and then I can punish him for that many days. Then he says I can take away some of his toys. Then he said I could write him some reminder notes. Maybe even send an email to his teacher so she could remind him. Even though I was fuming at him he still made me laugh on the inside. He will bargain till the end.
I can take away every toy and he will find a stick and entertain himself for hours. Draw on a piece of paper till the cows come home. Anyway, I tell him to turn around and I spank him twice. He cried and said he was ready to study : ( We study and study some more, but he was so tired that it was a hour past his normal bedtime. I hate spanking, but what else do I do. I did threaten him to get a spanking everyday he forgets something. I am having such a hard time with my little man. It is so hard not to compare your kids when they are so darn different.
Kelsey is so scared to forget anything and takes such pride in all that she does. Cort will never have a heart attack, because he worries about nothing. I love my kids the same, but I am still learning how to parent each one different. They have such unique personalities and I want them to be happy, successful adults. I am trying every day to help them get there. A boy is Truth with dirt on it's face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.-- Author Unknown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Sounds like you're doing just fine despite the trials. At least he's showing smarts and wit with the bargaining! ;)

Here's hoping Wed is a better one!

Sarah said...

Aww I'm sorry you had such a rough evening. Parenting has got to be the toughest job in the world! Hang in there, your a great mom and you have great kids. The rest will work itself out. :-)